Motorola batteries are the soul of your two-way radio. If you do not care for or understand your batteries,your organizational efficiency, communication, productivity and safety will go out of the window. Here is a
small guide that will help you figure out the A-Z of Motorola radio batteries:
1. If you want to know the age of your Motorola batteries, then look for a 3-digit code printed on the battery’s front. The 1st digit is the year, and the 2nd and 3rd digits represent the week of the year in which the battery was manufactured. You should replace all batteries that are over 18 months old.
2. Before using new batteries, “initialize” (charge) them overnight. Charging before use enhances battery capacity. Charge Nickel Cadmium and Nickel Metal Hydride batteries for 14-16 hours. Lithium-Ion batteries must be charged extra – keep charging these for 1-2 hours after the charger light turns green.
3. Brand new batteries that intended for use at a later date must be stored in a ventilated, cool and dry area. You can store Nickel Cadmium batteries for up to 2 years, Nickel Metal Hydride and Lithium-ion Polymer batteries for up to 18 months.
4. If you remove used Motorola batteries and intend to use these again after 30 days, then you must first ensure that these are at least 50% discharged. Of course, the batteries must be stored in a cool dry place.
5. Charge Motorola batteries as much as necessary. Overcharging batteries will shorten their life and impact their performance.
6. All batteries, except for Lithium Ion batteries must be recharged only after a full discharge. You can recharge Lithium-ion Motorola batteries at any time.
7. Batteries that are stored for more than 2 months must be recharged before use.
8. You must not recharge a battery unless it needs a recharge.
9. Motorola radio batteries last for 18 months and are 100% compatible with Motorola radios.
10. Your battery maintenance must be on the ball. Many users lose track of how long their batteries have been in use or whether the batteries are in need of a recharge. You must be doubly watchful of batteries used in multiple shifts. Uncared-for batteries lead to loss of productivity, safety, brand value and efficiency. You must guard against this. Battery care must be performed as recommended in the manual.
Motorola radio batteries are high quality and can weather very unfriendly environments. These batteries are long lasting and powerful, but the thing to know is that a Motorola radio can only work efficiently when its batteries function at their best capabilities. This makes battery care a very important task and we hope that our small guide above will help you enhance your battery life and performance.